Going underground

I looked, and I saw that I was in a small room with several women gathered together. Two women in particular caught my attention because of their long hair, unusual clothes, and the conversation they were having. When I spoke up, they welcomed me into their midst and we continued to converse
until it was time to go.

Outside, the women said they were on foot so I walked with them. Before long, we entered a part of the town I didn't recognise. I said, “this doesn’t even feel like South Africa. It feels like somewhere in the Mediterranean.“

The woman told me that we were entering the Jewish area so it wasn’t surprising that I hadn’t been there before. As we continued, the road descended and then seemed to become enclosed, like a tunnel. The sound changed, making me exclaim, “We're underwater!“ at this, the women laughed But didn’t contradict me. Other people past us on the road and I saw that they all belonged to the same Jewish community. They recognised me as an outsider but, because I was accompanied by the women, they greeted me with smiles.

I saw many strange and fascinating things. The women took me into a hall full of girls who were being taught how to become good wives and mothers. Further on, I entered a place where men were discussing family matters. We then entered what the women called the temple. Looking up at the domed ceiling, I exclaimed, “it’s so green!“, And noticing the way the floor resembled a sloping hillside, “it’s not flat!“ “Everything was unusual, from the structure of the seats to the informality of the meeting. By this time, evening was approaching and I knew I ought to return to my own part of town, but the place was so compelling and my new friends so warm and inviting that I simply had to stay.

The above is an account of the dream I had on the eve of the 21-day lockdown for the curbing and controlling of the coronavirus in South Africa. On awakening, I immediately understood that the dream related to the strange and unprecedented time we are entering as a nation. I also noted that my own response to finding myself somewhere I had never been before was overwhelmingly positive. I put this down to the fact that I feel secure, both physically and financially. Plus, I have things to do, including a podcast and a video series to produce.


But that's not all. I believe there is a message here. I equate Jewish society with close family ties and a commitment to observing special days, so my subconscious is probably signalling to me that what lies ahead is an opportunity for greater togetherness. While people cannot mingle physically, we can nevertheless maintain our bonds through the use of technology. Social media platforms will be key here, as will phone apps that allow group calls. yes, we are going underground in the sense that we are sheltering from the virus, but we need not be miserable or lonely. Novelty lies where we've not been before. Unexpected treasures await our discovery. Friendships  we've neglected have the potential to become deep and rich, setting us up for a  future that may well be more rewarding than the lives we've left behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Refining the art of conversation from lessons learnt in lockdown

This morning I remembered a pet peeve of mine from university days. I think it was provoked by my reading of Pride and Prejudice in English ...