Podcasting in lieu of trail riding

What’s more difficult? Riding a horse across wild country for a week or starting a podcast? Different people would answer this question very differently, I imagine, but here is my response:

I had big plans last year to venture out on horseback, but soon realised
it was impractical. As a visually-impaired person who is not very fit [an understatement, I might add], Riding in open country holds many dangers. I discovered this when I went walking with my guide dog and banged my head on a tree branch. When I took riding lessons with an equine therapist, I was reminded that horses are huge, heavy creatures who can easily bruise toes and nip exposed flesh! Not a very exciting prospect!

On the other hand, starting a podcast, While an adventurous enterprise, fit’s much better into my natural skill set. I’ve sung and acted on stage many times over the years and enjoy hearing my voice projected over a good microphone. I find it easy to address an audience on a topic I am familiar with, such as handling a guide dog, knitting for charity or teaching children how to be mindful of people less fortunate than themselves. This coming week, I am scheduled to appear as a guest on a book podcast, which I will report on when it is aired. In short, I'm fond of presenting ideas, and hosting a show ticks the boxes for all my favourite things!

I’m happy to say, from the time I set my sights on starting a podcast in November last year, things have come together nicely. I’ve found a topic that excites me, an audience who relate to what I’m passionate about, and a person to assist with set-up and production. I even have a fancy new Yeti microphone for the project, gifted to me by my husband for Christmas. In the weeks ahead, I will be gathering material, including interviews, and putting together some early episodes in preparation for a soft launch.


Starting a podcast may not be a kin to galloping bareback over the desert towards the sunset, but it certainly fills me with excitement. So much new territory to explore and so many new things to experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Refining the art of conversation from lessons learnt in lockdown

This morning I remembered a pet peeve of mine from university days. I think it was provoked by my reading of Pride and Prejudice in English ...